Antiviolence Street Art 
Gallery Project
__________________

presenter > Mahtab Eskandari

In August 2009 a violent incident happened to me and my husband, a dramatic shift in thinking.  My optimism disappeared. I became distrustful of others and insecure with myself. Once outgoing and confident, I became frightened.
These days I'm doing my best to move on with my life. Looking for a way to transform anger into something constructive, I began creating large scale paintings, which depict the incident and Iranian mythological images. Through this personal journey, I realized there are many other victims who have the same experiences.
I have started organizing an art exhibit. It's a collaboration between  local artists and victims of violence. I'm amazed to realize there are plenty of artists, educators and other people who'd like to contribute their time, talent and stories to make this educational project happen. I’d like to avoid hosting the gallery indoors,  to make it accessible for everyone, especially to children.
Having experienced violence first hand, I realize it can happen to anyone. I feel I have a responsibility to tell my story and raise awareness.