Southeast Asian Archaeologies
__________________

presenter > Sarah Youngblutt

This society was created by myself three years ago. I wanted to support a University in Cambodia so as to provide an alternative economy for a country which has been devasted by war. That economy is archaeology. Today, there are nearly 900 temples underground in Cambodia. Over 25 different countries work in Cambodian history, leading teams of foreign archaeologiests into the country and circulating information and antiquities around the world highlighting Cambodias great past. Through 5 visits to the country and my scholarship here at UBC I have learned that Cambodian graduates of Archaeology are not hired to work on their own sites, for they are not schooled to a western standard. Today I work to rise that standard in Cambodia with the hope that I may contribute to a larger trend of supporting faculties of archaeology in countries which need alternative forms of economic revenue across Southeast Asia.

more info?